114 W Main St, Fort Pierre
Built between 1908 and 1909, the United Church of Christ, now known as the Fort Pierre Congregational Church, is the only example of High Victorian Gothic architecture in Fort Pierre. The Late Victorian Gothic style is the last phase of the Gothic Revival, but it is sometimes treated as a separate style. The style is characterized by decorative polychrome patterns produced by the use of contrasting color or texture in brick and stonework. Churches and public buildings are the most common building types designed in this style.
(Photo at left) A sign in front of the building reads "Welcome to Congregational United Church of Christ Sunday School A.M. Worship Hour 11:00 A.M".
The church is constructed of locally made brick on a foundation of Hot Springs, South Dakota sandstone. The building’s most distinguishing feature is the square tower set into the corner of the facade. In addition to the tower, the pointed arch windows, brick detailing above the windows, and bi-chromatic appearance resulting from the use of brick with contrasting stone foundation and trim are also characteristic of High Victorian Gothic architecture.
The First Congregational Church of Christ of Fort Pierre joined with the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1958 to form the Congregational United Church of Christ.